After trying fried yeast raised donuts, cake donuts, wanted to get a baked yeast raised donut recipe, and finally i found this in 101cookbooks. Think it is not that easy to find a good baked yeast raised donuts as the concept of a baked doughnut to any self-professed doughnut connoisseur, chances are you'll take some heat. The baked donuts have a slightly different texture from the fried variety with a somewhat different taste due to the lack of absorbed oil—and so have a lower fat content.
Ingredients ( for 18 mini donuts ) :
- 163g warm milk
- 6g dry yeast
- 35g sugar
- 1 egg
- 320g all purpose flour
- 15g butter
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 76 g chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Place 1/3 cup of the warm milk in the bowl of an electric mixer. Stir in the yeast and set aside for ten minutes.
- Stir the butter and sugar into the remaining cup of warm milk and add it to the yeast mixture.
- With a fork, stir in the eggs, flour, nutmeg, and salt - just until the flour is incorporated. You want the dough to pull away from the sides of the mixing bowl and eventually become supple and smooth. Turn it out onto a floured counter-top, knead a few times (the dough should be barely sticky), and shape into a ball.
- Transfer the dough to a buttered (or oiled) bowl, cover, put in a warm place (I turn on the oven at this point and set the bowl on top), and let rise for an hour or until the dough has roughly doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough and roll it out 1/2-inch thick on your floured countertop. Most people don't have a doughnut cutter, instead I use a 2-3 inch cookie cutter to stamp out circles. Transfer the circles to a parchment-lined baking sheet and stamp out the smaller inner circles using a smaller cutter. If you cut the inner holes out any earlier, they become distorted when you attempt to move them. Cover with a clean cloth and let rise for another 45 minutes.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven until the bottoms are just golden, 8 minutes.
- Melt chocolate chips and olive oil in microwave for 30 seconds.
- Remove the doughnuts from the oven and let cool for just a minute or two. Dip each one in the melted chocolate.