One of my friends, LK would like to make some breads for her son. She wanted to start with something simple. Coincidently, I made some whole wheat bread last two days, and it is indeed very easy for a beginner. With my limited knowledge in baking, hope she will be able to make some breads, with love to her son.
- 210g high protein flour/ bread flour
- 200g whole wheat flour ( you may replace with high protein flour if you can't get this )
- 30g sugar
- 3/4 tbs Instant dry yeast ( dissolve into 120g warm water, add in one tbs of sugar, wait for 10 minutes. )
- a pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 45g fresh milk
- 30g butter
- some raisin ( optional )
1. Stir flour, caster sugar, salt and yeast in a mixing bowl.
2. Add in milk. Mix the ingredients with hand and slowly form a dough
3. Add in egg and butter later. Knead until the dough is no longer sticks to your hand, become smooth and elastic. This should take about 15 - 20 minutes. Do the window pane test: pinch a small piece of the dough, pull and stretch it. It should be elastic, and can be pulled away into a thin membrane without tearing/ breaking part.
4. Cover the dough with cloth or cling wrap and leave it for 1 hour. If the weather is cold, u may leave the dough in the oven, together with one glass of hot water.
5. Divide the dough into two equal portion. Flatten the dough into a round disc, roll the dough like swiss-roll style.
6. Cover the doughs with damp cloth or cling wrap and leave to proof for second time, about 1 hour, or until double in size.
7. Bake in pre-heated oven at 390 F for 30 minutes. ( if the bread had turn into golden brown, you may cover the bread with aluminium foil after 15 minutes )
Hope I hear some good news from you, my friend!